Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How I Transitioned to Freelance Writing

After a couple of dozen failed jobs, I decided it was time for a change. Looking online for work in the manual labor job field was not working at all. I went on tons of interviews and even had a couple of short lived jobs, but nothing would stick. I heard about people writing online and receiving pay from PayPal. I thought this would be a great idea, but I knew it was going to be hard work.


I haven't used my writing skills since high school, so I needed to research some grammar pointers. I found an online job at Yahoo Voices (formerly known as Associated Content), but I was a little nervous about if they would pay. Sure enough I signed up and got started, and it was more difficult than I imagined. I would get rejected on most of my articles and only some of the would go through.

It was a frustrating experience, but I wanted more practice, so I took on another job. I found Helium.com online and I signed up to there because I like to write poetry. Things went a lot smoother there because that was the writing that made me feel more comfortable. I didn't write at helium for the money, but I took this job for the experience. Sometimes you have to hone your craft in order to become a better writer.

Flash forward almost a year later and I'm still writing online. Now it has been my only source of income. That just goes to show that if you keep at something you're bound to become good at it after a while. If you see yourself trying to get a job, and things aren't panning out like you want them to look for an online job. It's not much money at first, but after some practice you'll be making money in no time.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you're starting to make money on line with writing. Would you say that helium.com is the most promising site to make a decent income?

Signed,

A fellow PostLooper

 
At August 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM , Blogger Willis Rogers III said...

Helium is better for getting practice for writing. I don't make a whole lot from helium, but it is something. If you need money fast check out my postloop review.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home