Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Windows 8 Review: My Thoughts on the New OS

If you don't know Windows 8 is being rolled out to the masses. I had a chance to download the consumer version, and I tested it out for a couple of days. I was excited about the new OS, and it shows a lot of promise in my opinion. The first thing you will notice when you install Windows 8 is a new log in screen. It displays the date and time and a nice background of leaves.


You can click the mouse or hold the mouse and drag upwards to reveal the sign in screen. Once you log in you may notice a change from what you're used to seeing. The Metro screen resembles a tablet or a cellphone layout. With bight and vivid tiles pointing you in the direction you want to go. There's everything from the desktop, travel, email, and a number of other tiles that are useful to the consumer.

Microsoft has went with a different approach with this OS because it combines a tablet and desktop OS all in one. If you click on the desktop square from the Metro menu it will take you to a familiar place. This is the desktop you know from Windows, except minus a start button. It just the same as the previous OS systems. Many people have trouble returning to the Metro screen menu.

The easiest way to do this is point your mouse in the lower left hand corner and you'll see a start box pop up. Click that box and it takes you out to the Metro menu. There have also been reports of people not knowing how to properly shut windows down. Point your mouse in the lower right hand corner, and go to the settings tab.

There you will see a tab labeled Power you can click here to shut your computer down. I was a little lost when I first started using Windows, but after sometime I got the hang of it. I really enjoy being able to bounce back and forth between the desktop and tablet OS. The release is a bit buggy, but that's expected with a beta program. Some of the bugs I noticed were when you go to the store menu there is some artifacting on the screen.

This is when there are boxes and other strange shapes on the screen that shouldn't be there. It could be due to my screen's resolution may not be supported at this time. Besides that I haven't had a problem with the new Windows 8 software. I've run all my applications smoothly without any crashes. I hope Microsoft keeps this layout for the home version. Some people think that you can't have two different OS's running on the same machine, but I think it works fine.

Sometimes I want to play games and the Windows store has about 52 games available for download. It's a developers paradise and within enough time you won't need to have tablets and laptop computers. You will only need Windows 8 to achieve nirvana, What do you think about the new OS do you like it, or do you hate it? Leave it in the comments below.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home