Thursday, February 7, 2013

What it's Like to be Mixed Race

I get a lot of questions about being mixed race from people. There are some things that are good, but there are things I don't like about sharing races. I'm a mixed with Black, White, and Native American. Some people are not surprised that I'm mixed, but some are surprised. Most of the people just stare and look at me like I'm from another planet.

When people try to guess my nationality, they name everything except the races that I actually am. It's very weird sometimes being looked at like a science experiment. The things that bother me about being mixed is all the questions. Basically, everyone wants a little history lesson about my past. The entire thing can be tiring after a hundred times or so. I've answered that question a million times, but I always tell myself this is the last time.

I'm not sure if other mixed people have these feelings, but I can hear racists voices between the races. No, I'm not crazy, but often I will have hatred towards my own race. The voice in my mind will sometimes be racists against blacks. Then there are times it is racists against whites. Finally it's racists against Native Americans. The whole thing is weird, and I'm just stuck in the middle of this argument, not saying anything. Most people think the best part about being mixed race is there's a good looking gene.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I don't have a problem getting ladies. The thing that annoys me the most about being mixed is jobs want you to pick one race. I've often been asked to choose a side. I'm not comfortable with picking just one, I'm all three or nothing. Asking me to pick one race is like saying who do you love more mom or dad? If you have a brain you love your parents equally, so it's the same thing for being mixed, I love my races equally. Please don't make me choose just one it's just too difficult.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home