Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pinterest Review

Pinterest is a hot site that's getting a lot of good press lately. I wanted to know what the hype was about, so I decided to sign up, and write a Pinterest review. The first thing when you join Pinterest is the invite only system they use. I was amazed at this process because it was so new and innovative. I haven't seen a website do this before, and I'm sure the invite only system will cut down on spam.

Once you join you will get an answer whether or not you've been accepted. I was accepted within a day or so, and I found the layout of the site to be quite refreshing. There are pictures from all different kinds of topics and interests. It's a virtual pinning board where you can surf the web, and when you find something you like pin it and share it with your friends.

You could literally get lost for hours just looking at pictures, I know I did. The only negative side to Pinterest is the majority of the things pinned have to do with women. That's not a bad thing at all, but it would be nice if there was more variety. Most of the pins are cooking recipes, fashion, shoes, and arts and crafts. There's hardly any things for a male audience on the site. I mean it wouldn't hurt to have some pictures of cars, guns, strippers, or a picture of a man strangling another man with his bare hands, you know guy stuff.

I like the pictures and the atmosphere on the site, but it does feel a little gender specific. When I visit Facebook and Twitter they don't cater to on specific gender. That's really the only gripe I have about the site everything else is very fluid. The presentation is nothing like I've ever seen before. I'm surprised that the Digg website copied the Pinterest layout, so this site does have potential. I guess instead of complaining about the lack of male influenced pins, I should start pinning some of my own.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home