Sunday, February 2, 2014

Flappy Bird Android Review


There's a new kid in town, and his name is Flappy Bird. I've heard positive reviews about this app, so I decided to get flapping myself. If you don't know what Flappy Bird is, it's an app for Android and iPhone. Angry Birds has some competition with this game. 

My first thought of this game was I thought it would be easy. I saw the premise of just tapping the screen to fly, and I thought I could do this, boy was I wrong. The whole point of Flappy Bird is to guide your bird my tapping the screen through the pipes. 

It's sounds simple right? Well, it's a bit more challenging than you think. I've broken down the review into smaller categories for easier reading. Let's take a look shall we.



Graphics

The graphics on Flappy Bird are 8-bit Nintendo style. There isn't much to see here. I don't really mind the retro graphics, but in future updates I would like to see a HD upgrade. The backgrounds are very simple and it's a side-scrolling game. The coding on this game is very basic, and it wouldn't hurt to make it a bit more modern. 



Gameplay

Flappy Bird has some of the best gameplay I've seen on an Android game. I can't count how many times I've played it over and over again. It has a really addicting quality, just like Angry Birds. I would like to see more levels in this game. There is only one stage and you repeat the same thing. 

Flappy Bird should have other things that you can fly into, like rings of fire, moving targets, and spikes. The game is bare minimum, and it wouldn't hurt to incorporate new ideas into the updated version. 


Sound

The sound was a bit disappointing. There isn't any music on this game, just a coin noise when you fly through the pipes. I wish you can listen to music while you play. They should incorporate music in the update because it gets a little boring when it's so quiet. In total there's about 4 sounds in the entire game, and that's too little. There should be a Flappy Bird theme song in the beginning of the game. 


Overall

Will Flappy Bird get my seal of approval? I have to say I would give this game a 3 out of 5-stars. I like the simplistic gameplay, but the graphics and music could use a overhaul. This game has high replay value, which makes it one of my favorite apps right now. I can definitely play this game more than Angry Birds. I would recommend if you haven't tried Flappy Bird yet, then go download it from the Apple and Android store. Bye everybody, time to play Flappy Bird.


Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home